Pathways Through Proverbs
November 5, 2008
Today's Reading - Proverbs 5
Click above for full KJV Online
Today's Pathway:previous - - - - - - - - - - - - next
Click above to go directly to TP
Following Scripture Verses
- My son, attend unto my wisdom, and bow thine ear to my understanding:
- That thou mayest regard discretion, and that thy lips may keep knowledge.
- For the lips of a strange woman drop as an honeycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil:
- But her end is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a twoedged sword.
- Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell.
- Lest thou shouldest ponder the path of life, her ways are moveable, that thou canst not know them.
- Hear me now therefore, O ye children, and depart not from the words of my mouth.
- Remove thy way far from her, and come not nigh the door of her house:
- Lest thou give thine honour unto others, and thy years unto the cruel:
- Lest strangers be filled with thy wealth; and thy labours be in the house of a stranger;
- And thou mourn at the last, when thy flesh and thy body are consumed,
- And say, How have I hated instruction, and my heart despised reproof;
- And have not obeyed the voice of my teachers, nor inclined mine ear to them that instructed me!
- I was almost in all evil in the midst of the congregation and assembly.
- Drink waters out of thine own cistern, and running waters out of thine own well.
- Let thy fountains be dispersed abroad, and rivers of waters in the streets.
- Let them be only thine own, and not strangers' with thee.
- Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.
- Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.
- And why wilt thou, my son, be ravished with a strange woman, and embrace the bosom of a stranger?
- For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD, and he pondereth all his goings.
- His own iniquities shall take the wicked himself, and he shall be holden with the cords of his sins.
- He shall die without instruction; and in the greatness of his folly he shall go astray.
Back to Top
Today's verse is given within the context of keeping your sexually pure. From verse 3 we see that Solomon is speaking about the strange woman, and the verses following show why she is to be avoided. In this verse we see a perfect means by which to avoid fornication with this woman: stay as far away from her as you can.
You may click on verses for Scripture
There is a simple solution to the problem of remaining chaste, and that is to stay away from any person or place where your purity might be compromised. If a man and woman are never alone together, there is no chance that they will ever become intimate. If a woman knows that a certain man to whom she is not married has lustful, inappropriate feelings for her, or if she finds that she has those feelings for him, she needs to stay away from him. She should remain far from him, and not even go near his residence nor his place of employment. It is when she decides that she can "play with fire" that she will fall into sin.
This principle is applicable in every area other area of temptation as well. If a man finds that he gets in trouble when he spends time with a certain group of friends, he needs to get new friends. If he does the wrong thing when he goes to a certain place, he needs to quit going to that place. If he thinks wrong thoughts when he watches a certain program, then he needs to stop watching it. He needs to stay far away from temptation, and not go near those places where he will be enticed.
Put today's proverb into action, and you will find yourself winning more victories over sin.
Pastor Mark J Montgomery